- (dated) Before the public at large; throughout society or the world; here and there; moving without restriction. [First attested in the late 15th century.]
- Beyond the bounds of a country; in foreign countries. [First attested from around (1350 to 1470.)]
- Played elsewhere than one's home grounds; as in a sport's team.
- (dated) Without a certain confine; outside the house; away from one's abode. [First attested from around (1150 to 1350.)]
"to walk abroad"
- Not on target; astray; in error; confused; dazed. [First attested in the early 19th century.]
- (dated) At large; widely; broadly; over a wide space. [First attested from around (1150 to 1350.)]
"A tree spreads its branches abroad."
- (rare) Countries or lands abroad. [First attested in the mid 19th century.]
- Throughout, over.