- (attributive) Pertaining to one that is absent. [First attested in the mid 19th century.]
- (chiefly Britain, historical) A landholder who lives in another district or country than the one in which his estate is situated. [First attested in the early 17th century.]
- A person who is absent from his or her employment, school, post, duty, etc. [First attested around 1350 to 1470.]
- A voter that is not present at the time of voting; absentee voter. [First attested in the early 20th century.]
- One that is nonexistent or lacking.