- (engineering, architecture) The solid portion of a structure that supports the lateral pressure of an arch or vault. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- The state of abutting.
- A fixed point or surface where resistance is obtained.
"The fulcrum acted as an abutment."
- The point of junction between two things, in particular a support, that abuts. [First attested in the mid 17th century.]
- Something that abuts, or on which something abuts. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- (dentistry) The tooth that supports a denture or bridge.
- (engineering) A construction that supports the ends of a bridge; a structure that anchors the cables on a suspension bridge. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- (architecture) That element that shares a common boundary or surface with its neighbor.