- Moral depravity; vast intellectual or moral depth.
- Anything infinite, immeasurable, or profound. [First attested in the late 16th century.]
- (heraldry) The center of an escutcheon.
- (frequently figuratively) A bottomless or unfathomed depth, gulf, or chasm; hence, any deep, immeasurable; any void space. [First attested in the late 16th century.]
- An impending catastrophic happening.
- Hell; the bottomless pit; primeval chaos; a confined subterranean ocean. [First attested around 1350 to 1470.]