- (rare) Accelerated; quickened; hastened; hurried.
- (transitive) To quicken the natural or ordinary progression or process of.
"to accelerate the growth of a plant, the increase of wealth, etc."
- (transitive, education) To enable a student to finish a course of study in less than normal time.
- (obsolete) Alternative form of accelerated
- (transitive) To cause to move faster; to quicken the motion of; to add to the speed of.
- (transitive) To hasten, as the occurrence of an event.
"to accelerate our departure"
- (intransitive) Grow; increase.
- (transitive, physics) To cause a change of velocity.
- (intransitive) To become faster; to begin to move more quickly.