- A very small gemstone set into a piece of jewellery.
- (figuratively) Emphasis or importance in general.
"At this hotel, the accent is on luxury."
- (linguistics) The distinctive manner of pronouncing a language associated with a particular region, social group, etc., whether of a native speaker or a foreign speaker; the phonetic and phonological aspects of a dialect.
"a foreign accent; an American, British or Australian accent"
- (prosody, poetry) Stress laid on certain syllables of a verse.
- (music) The rhythmical accent, which marks phrases and sections of a period.
- (mathematics) A mark placed at the right hand of a letter, and a little above it, to distinguish magnitudes of a similar kind expressed by the same letter, but differing in value, as y', y''.
- Emphasis laid on a part of an artistic design or composition; an emphasized detail, in particular a detail in sharp contrast to its surroundings.
- (linguistics) A higher-pitched or stronger articulation of a particular syllable of a word or phrase in order to distinguish it from the others or to emphasize it.
"In the word "careful", the accent is placed on the first syllable."
- (archaic) Utterance.
- Modulation of the voice in speaking; the manner of speaking or pronouncing; a peculiar or characteristic modification of the voice, expressing emotion; tone.
- (usually plural only) Expressions in general; speech.
- (music) A special emphasis of a tone, even in the weaker part of the measure.
- (music) A mark used to represent specific stress on a note.
- (engineering) A mark used to denote feet and inches, as in 6' 10'', meaning six feet ten inches.
- A distinctive feature or quality.
- (orthography) A mark or character used in writing, in order to indicate the place of the spoken accent, or to indicate the nature or quality of the vowel marked.
"The name Cézanne is written with an acute accent."
- A word; a significant tone or sound.
- (music) A regularly recurring stress upon the tone to mark the beginning, and, more feebly, the third part of the measure.
- (music) The expressive emphasis and shading of a passage.
- (geometry) A mark at the right hand of a number, indicating minutes of a degree, seconds, etc., as in 12' 27'', meaning twelve minutes and twenty-seven seconds.
- (transitive) To express the accent of vocally; to utter with accent.
- (transitive) To mark with written accents.
- (transitive) To mark emphatically; to emphasize; to accentuate; to make prominent.