- (transitive) To admit the knowledge of; to recognize as a fact or truth; to declare one's belief in; as, to acknowledge the being of a god.
- To notify receipt, as of a letter.
- To own with gratitude or as a benefit or an obligation; as, to acknowledge a favor.
- To own or recognize in a particular quality, character or relationship; to admit the claims or authority of; to give recognition to.
- To own as genuine or valid; to assent to, as a legal instrument, to give it validity; to avow or admit in legal form; as, to acknowledge a deed.