- (Britain) The act of owning or recognizing in a particular character or relationship; recognition as regards the existence, authority, truth, or genuineness.
- (Britain) A message from the addressee informing the originator that the originator's communication has been received and understood.
"a wedding invitation's acknowledgement"
- (Britain, law) A formal statement or document recognizing the fulfilment or execution of a legal requirement or procedure.
- (Britain) The act of acknowledging; admission; avowal; owning; confession.
- (Britain) An expression of gratitude.
- (Britain, law) The act of a man admitting a child as his own.
- (Britain) An award or other expression or token of appreciation.
- (Britain, telecommunications, computing, networking) A response sent by a receiver to indicate successful receipt of a transmission.
"See Wikipedia article on transmission"