- A sound like that of water gently flowing around obstructions.
- Inarticulate speech; constant or confused murmur.
- Idle talk; senseless prattle; gabble; twaddle.
- (intransitive) To make a continuous murmuring noise, as shallow water running over stones.
"Hounds are said to babble, or to be babbling, when they are too noisy after having found a good scent."
- (intransitive) To talk much; to chatter; to prate.
- (transitive) To disclose by too free talk, as a secret.
- (intransitive) To talk incoherently; to utter unmeaning words.
- (transitive) To utter in an indistinct or incoherent way; to repeat, as words, in a childish way without understanding.
- (intransitive) To utter words indistinctly or unintelligibly; to utter inarticulate sounds; as, a child babbles.