- Of an animal: young.
"a baby elephant"
- Of a child: very young; of the age when he or she would be termed a baby or infant.
"a baby boy"
- (of vegetables, etc.) Picked when small and immature (as in baby corn, baby potatoes).
- Intended for babies.
- Unborn young; a fetus.
"When is your baby due?"
- (informal) A form of address to a man or a woman considered to be attractive.
"Hey baby, what are you doing later?"
- An affectionate term for anything.
"See my new car here? I can't wait to take this baby for a drive."
- Any very young animal, especially a vertebrate; many species have specific names for their babies, such as kittens for the babies of cats, puppies for the babies of dogs, and chicks for the babies of birds. See Category:Baby animals for more.
- A term of endearment for a girlfriend or boyfriend or spouse.
- The lastborn of a family.
- A very young human, particularly from birth to a couple of years old or until walking is fully mastered.
- A person who is immature or infantile.
"Stand up for yourself - don't be such a baby!"
- A pet project or responsibility.
"The annual report has been my baby since September."
- (archaic) A small image of an infant; a doll.
- (transitive) To coddle; to pamper somebody like an infant.