- (ice hockey) Of a play that uses the back side of the hockey stick
"He scored on a backhand shot."
- (of strokes or throws) In the backhand style
- (handwriting) Of any left slanting handwriting
- (Ultimate Frisbee) the standard throw; a throw during which the disc begins on the off-hand side and travels across the chest to be released from the opposite side.
- Handwriting that leans to the left
- (surfing) the hand towards the back of the board.
- (tennis) a stroke made across the chest from the off-hand side to the racquet hand side; a stroke during which the back of the hand faces the shot.
- The reverse side of the human hand.
- to execute a backhand stroke or throw
- to slap with the back of one's hand