- Pertaining to a thought or value that is considered outdated.
- (obsolete) Unwilling; averse; reluctant.
- (obsolete) Already past or gone; bygone.
- (of motion) Pertaining to the direction towards the back.
"They left without a backward glance."
- Of a culture considered undeveloped or unsophisticated.
- (cricket) Further behind the batsman's popping crease than something else.
- Late or behindhand.
"a backward season"
- Reluctant or unable to advance.
- (cricket) On that part of the field behind the batsman's popping crease.
- Slow to apprehend; having difficulties in learning.
"a backward child"
- (of motion) Pertaining to the direction reverse of normal.
"The occasional backward movement of planets is evidence they revolve around the sun."
- By way of reflection; reflexively.
- Toward, or in, past time or events; ago.
- (of motion) In the direction towards the back; backwards
"to walk or ride backward; to throw the arms backward"
- From a better to a worse state, as from honor to shame, from religion to sin.
- The state behind or past.