- Any soothing oil or lotion, especially an aromatic one.
"There is a balm in Gilead.... (Spiritual)"
- A plant or tree yielding such substance.
- Any of various aromatic plants of the genus Melissa, such as lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) or bee balm.
- Any of various aromatic resins exuded from certain plants, especially trees of the genus Commiphora of Africa, Arabia and India and Myroxylon of South America.
- (figuratively) Something soothing.
"Classical music is a sweet balm for our sorrows."
- (archaic) To anoint with balm, or with anything medicinal.
- (figuratively) To soothe; to mitigate.