- (chiefly Britain) A sweet-smelling oil or resin derived from various plants.
- (chiefly Britain, figuratively) Something soothing.
"Classical music is a sweet balsam for our sorrows"
- A balsam fir Abies balsamea.
- (chiefly Britain) A soothing ointment.
- The balsam family of flowering plants (Balsaminaceae), which includes Impatiens and Hydrocera.
- (chiefly Britain) A plant or tree yielding such substance.
- A flowering plant of the genus Impatiens.
- Canada balsam, a turpentine obtained from the resin of balsam fir.
- (transitive) To treat or anoint with balsam.