- A fireplace or pit for grilling food, typically used outdoors and traditionally employing hot charcoal as the heating medium.
"We cooked our food on the barbecue."
- (dated) A hog, ox, or other large animal roasted or broiled whole for a feast.
- Meat, especially pork or beef, which has been cooked in such an apparatus (i.e. smoked over indirect heat from high-smoke fuels) and then chopped up or shredded.
"She ordered a plate of barbecue with a side of slaw."
- A meal or event highlighted by food cooked in such an apparatus.
"We're having a barbecue on Saturday, and you're invited."
- A floor on which coffee beans are sun-dried.
- To grill.
- To cook food on a barbecue; to smoke it over indirect heat from high-smoke fuels.