- A piece of defensive (or, sometimes, ornamental) armor for a horse's neck, breast, and flanks; a barb. (Often in the plural.)
- The exterior covering of the trunk and branches of a tree; the rind.
- (by extension) A poet.
"the bard of Avon"
- (cooking) A thin slice of fat bacon used to cover any meat or game.
- A professional poet and singer, as among the ancient Celts, whose occupation was to compose and sing verses in honor of the heroic achievements of princes and brave men.
- Defensive armor formerly worn by a man at arms.
- Specifically, Peruvian bark.
- (cooking) To cover (meat or game) with a thin slice of fat bacon.
- To cover a horse in defensive armor.