- comparative form of damp: more damp
- A valve or movable plate in the flue or other part of a stove, furnace, etc., used to check or regulate the draught of air.
- A device that decreases the oscillations of a system.
- Something that damps or checks:
- Something that kills the mood.
- A contrivance (sordine), as in a pianoforte, to deaden vibrations; or, as in other pieces of mechanism, to check some action at a particular time.
- (chiefly Australia) Bread made from a basic recipe of flour, water, milk, and salt, but without yeast.