- A pointed missile weapon, intended to be thrown by the hand; a short lance; a javelin; any sharp-pointed missile weapon, as an arrow.
- A sudden or fast movement.
- (in the plural) A game of throwing darts at a target.
- (Australia, obsolete) A plan or scheme.
- A fish; the dace.
- Anything resembling such a pointed missile weapon; anything that pierces or wounds like such a weapon.
- (sewing) A fold that is stitched on a garment.
- (intransitive) To fly or pass swiftly, as a dart; to move rapidly in one direction; to shoot out quickly
"The flying man darted eastward."
- (transitive) To send forth suddenly or rapidly; to emit; to shoot
"Or what ill eyes malignant glances dart? - Alexander Pope"
- (intransitive) To start and run with speed; to shoot rapidly along
"The deer darted from the thicket."
- (transitive) To throw with a sudden effort or thrust, as a dart or other missile weapon; to hurl or launch.
"The sun darts forth his beams."