- (uncountable) The morning twilight period immediately before sunrise.
- (uncountable) The beginning.
"the dawn of civilization"
- (uncountable) The time when the sun rises.
"She rose before dawn to meet the train."
- (countable) The rising of the sun.
- (intransitive) To begin to give promise; to begin to appear or to expand.
- (intransitive) To start to appear or be realized.
"I don’t want to be there when the truth dawns on him."
- (intransitive) To begin to brighten with daylight.
"A new day dawns."