- A dignitary or presiding officer in certain church bodies, especially an ecclesiastical dignitary, subordinate to a bishop, in charge of a chapter of canon.
- A senior official in a college or university, who may be in charge of a division or faculty (for example, the dean of science) or have some other advisory or disciplinary function (for example, the dean of students).
- (Sussex) a hill (chiefly place names).
- The senior member of some group of people.
"dean of the diplomatic corps - a country's most senior ambassadordean of the House - the longest-serving member of a legislature"
- (intransitive, rare) To serve as a dean.
- (transitive, rare, informal) To send (a student) to see the dean of a university.