- Severe(ly affected), sore
- Precious to or greatly valued by someone.
"The dearer the giver, the dearer the trinket he brings!"
- A formal way to start (often after my) addressing somebody one likes or regards kindly.
"My dear friend, I feel better as soon as you come sit beside my sickbed!"
- Loving, affectionate, heartfelt
"Such dear embrace tenderly comforts even in this dear sorrow."
- A formal way to start (possibly after my) addressing somebody at the beginning of a letter, memo etc.
"Dear Sir/Madam/Miss, please notice our offices will be closed during the following bank holidays:"
- (obsolete) Noble.
- Loved; lovable.
- High in price; expensive.
"The dearer the jewel, the greater the love expressed."
- An ironic way to start (often after my) addressing an inferior.
"My dear boy, if your grades don't pick up I won't bounce you on but over my knee!"
- (obsolete) dearly; at a high price
- A beloved person
- A very kind, loving person.
"My cousin is such a dear, always drawing me pictures."
- (obsolete) To endear.