- (countable, slang) A police informant.
- That which resembles in shape or position the ear of an animal; a prominence or projection on an object, usually for support or attachment; a lug; a handle.
"the ears of a tub, skillet, or dish;"
- (countable) The external part of the organ of hearing, the auricle.
- The privilege of being kindly heard; favour; attention.
- (architecture) A crossette.
- (countable) The organ of hearing, consisting of the pinna, auditory canal, eardrum, malleus, incus, stapes and cochlea.
- The sense of hearing; the perception of sounds; the power of discriminating between different tones.
"a good ear for music"
- (architecture) An acroterium.
- (countable) The fruiting body of a grain plant.
"He is in the fields, harvesting ears of corn."
- (humorous) To take in with the ears; to hear.
- (archaic) To plough.
- (intransitive) To put forth ears in growing; to form ears, as grain does.
"This corn ears well."