- Intent; fixed closely; as, earnest attention.
- Serious; weighty; of a serious, weighty, or important nature; not trifling or feigned; important.
- Ardent in the pursuit of an object; eager to obtain or do; zealous with sincerity; with hearty endeavour; heartfelt; fervent; hearty; — used in a good sense; as, earnest prayers.
- Strenuous; diligent.
- Serious in speech or action; eager; urgent; importunate; pressing; instant.
- Possessing or characterised by seriousness; strongly bent; intent.
"an earnest disposition"
- A sum of money paid in advance as a deposit; hence, a pledge, a guarantee, an indication of something to come.
- Seriousness; reality; actuality (as opposed to jesting or feigned appearance); fixed determination; eagerness; intentness.
- Gravity; serious purpose; earnestness.
- (transitive) To be serious with; use in earnest.