- (intransitive) To die of hunger; to starve.
- (obsolete, transitive) To starve (to death); to kill or destroy with hunger.
- (transitive) To force or constrain by famine.
- (intransitive) To suffer extremity from deprivation of anything essential or necessary.
- (transitive) To kill, or to cause to suffer extremity, by deprivation or denial of anything necessary.
- (intransitive) To suffer extreme hunger or thirst, so as to be exhausted in strength, or to come near to perish.
- (transitive) To exhaust the strength or endurance of, by hunger; to distress with hunger.