- A small vane or sail, used to keep the large sails of a smock windmill always in the direction of the wind.
- A hand-held device consisting of concertinaed material, or slats of material, gathered together at one end, that may be opened out into the shape of a sector of a circle and waved back and forth in order to move air towards oneself and cool oneself.
- An instrument for winnowing grain, by moving which the grain is tossed and agitated, and the chaff is separated and blown away.
- Anything resembling a hand-held fan in shape, e.g., a peacock’s tail.
- An admirer or aficionado, especially of a sport or performer; someone who is fond of something or someone; an admirer.
"I am a big fan of libraries."
- An electrical device for moving air, used for cooling people, machinery, etc.
- (intransitive, usually to fan out) To move or spread in multiple directions from one point, in the shape of a hand-held fan.
- (transitive) To slap (a behind, especially).
- (transitive) To blow air on (something) by means of a fan (hand-held, mechanical or electrical) or otherwise.
"We enjoyed standing at the edge of the cliff, being fanned by the wind.."