- Any projection, catch, shoot, or other thing by which hold is taken; a prehensile part or organ.
- (nautical) The coil or bend of a rope; (by extension) a noose; a trap.
- a long, pointed canine tooth used for biting and tearing flesh
- That which is seized or carried off; booty; spoils; stolen goods.
- (rare, in the plural) Cage-shuts.
- (Now chiefly dialectal, Scotland) A grasping; capture; the act or power of seizing; hold.
- (mining) A channel cut in the rock, or a pipe of wood, used for conveying air.
- (nautical) The valve of a pump box.
- (in snakes) a long pointed tooth for injecting venom
- (transitive, dialectal) To receive or adopt into spiritual relation, as in baptism; be godfather or godmother to.
- To enable to catch or tear; to furnish with fangs.
- (transitive, dialectal or archaic) To catch, capture; seize; grip; clutch; lay hold of.
- (transitive, obsolete, a thing given or imposed) To receive.
- (Scotland, transitive) To supply (a pump) with the water necessary for it to operate.
- (rare) To strike or attack with the fangs.
- (transitive, obsolete, as a guest) To receive with hospitality; welcome.
- (transitive, dialectal or obsolete) To take; receive with assent; accept.