- The presumed cause, force, principle, or divine will that predetermines events.
- (mythology) Alternative letter-case form of Fate (one of the goddesses said to control the destiny of human beings).
- Destiny; often with a connotation of death, ruin, misfortune, etc.
"Accept your fate."
- The effect, consequence, outcome, or inevitable events predetermined by this cause.
- (transitive) To foreordain or predetermine, to make inevitable.
"The oracle's prediction fated Oedipus to kill his father; not all his striving could change what would occur."