- A garment worn to hide the genitals by some trans people.
- rough or harsh treatment; criticism
"1916, Edgar Rice Burrows, Beyond Thirty (aka The Lost Continent), HTML edition, The Gutenberg Project, published 2008:"Numbers one, two, and five engines have broken down, sir," he called. "Shall we force the remaining three?" / "We can do nothing else," I bellowed into the transmitter. / "They won't stand the gaff, sir," he returned. / "Can you suggest a better plan?" I asked. / "No, sir," he replied. / "Then give them the gaff, lieutenant," I shouted back, and hu"
- A minor error or faux pas, a gaffe.
"We politely ignored his gaff."
- (nautical) The upper spar used to control a gaff-rigged sail.
- A tool consisting of a large metal hook with a handle or pole, especially the one used to pull large fish aboard a boat.
- (Britain, Ireland, slang) A place of residence.
"We're going round to Mike's gaff later to watch the footie."
- A trick or con.
"The sideshow feat was a just a gaff, but the audience was too proud to admit they'd been fooled."
- To cheat or hoax
- To use a gaff, especially to land a fish.