- (humorous) The sound of a gasp.
"Gasp! What will happen next?"
- A short, sudden intake of breath.
"The audience gave a gasp of astonishment"
- (Britain, slang): A draw or drag on a cigarette (or gasper).
"I'm popping out for a gasp."
- (intransitive) To breathe laboriously or convulsively.
"We were all gasping when we reached the summit."
- (intransitive) To draw in the breath suddenly, as if from a shock.
"The audience gasped as the magician disappeared."
- To pant with eagerness; to show vehement desire.
"I'm gasping for a cup of tea."
- (transitive) To speak in a breathless manner.
"The old man gasped his last few words."