- (obsolete) a gemma or leaf-bud
- (uncountable, printing, uncommon, obsolete) A size of type between brilliant (4-point) and diamond (4½-point), running 222 lines to the foot.
- Anything of small size, or expressed within brief limits, which is regarded as a gem on account of its beauty or value, such as a small picture, a verse of poetry, or an epigram.
"a gem of wit"
- (computing) A package containing programs or libraries for the Ruby programming language.
- (figuratively) any precious or highly valued thing or person
"She's an absolute gem."
- a type of geometrid moth, Orthonama obstipata
- A precious stone, usually of substantial monetary value or prized for its beauty or shine.
- (transitive) To adorn with, or as if with, gems.