- (obsolete) Healthy, whole, safe.
- An exclamation of respectful or reverent salutation, or, occasionally, of familiar greeting.
- Balls or pieces of ice falling as precipitation, often in connection with a thunderstorm.
- (transitive) to call out loudly in order to gain the attention of
"Hail a taxi."
- (impersonal) Said of the weather when hail is falling.
"They say it's going to hail tomorrow."
- (transitive) To name; to designate; to call.
"He was hailed as a hero."
- (transitive) to greet; give salutation to; salute.
- (transitive) to send or release hail
"The cloud would hail down furiously within a few minutes."