- (chess, of a piece) Unprotected and exposed to capture.
"The hanging vines made the house look older than it was."
- (uncountable) The act of hanging a person (or oneself) by the neck in order to execute that person (or to commit suicide).
"Hanging is the punishment for one convicted of war crimes, there."
- (uncountable) The way in which hangings (decorations) are arranged.
"I dislike the cramped hanging in the gallery of 18th century painters."
- (countable) Anything that is hung as a decorative element (such as curtains, gobelins or posters).
"The various hangings on that Christmas tree look nice."
- (countable) A public event at which a person is hanged.
"The hanging of the bandits was attended by the whole village."
- present participle of hang