- (transitive) To establish the identity of someone or something.
- (reflexive) To have a strong affinity with; to feel oneself to be modelled on or connected to.
- (transitive) To equate or make the same; to unite or combine into one.
- (intransitive) To claim an identity; to describe oneself as a member of a group; to assert the use of a particular term to describe oneself.
- (transitive, biology) To establish the taxonomic classification of an organism.
- (intransitive) To associate oneself with some group.