- Specifically, a particular variety of language; a restricted dialect used in a given historical period, context etc.
- (programming) A programming construct or phraseology generally held to be the most efficient or elegant means to achieve a particular result or behavior.
- A language or dialect.
- An expression peculiar to or characteristic of a particular language, especially when the meaning is illogical or separate from the meanings of its component words.
- (now rare) A manner of speaking, a way of expressing oneself.
- An artistic style (for example, in art, architecture, or music); an instance of such a style.