- Of no importance; useless; worthless; vain; trifling; thoughtless; silly.
"an idle story; idle talk; idle rumor"
- (obsolete) Empty, vacant.
- Averse to work, labor or employment; lazy; slothful.
"an idle fellow"
- Not engaged in any occupation or employment; unemployed; inactive; doing nothing.
- (obsolete) Light-headed; foolish.
- Not turned to appropriate use; not occupied.
"idle hours; My computer hibernates after it has been idle for 30 minutes."
- (intransitive) To lose or spend time doing nothing, or without being employed in business.
"to idle in an IRC channel"
- (transitive) To spend in idleness; to waste; to consume.
- (intransitive) Of an engine: to run at a slow speed, or out of gear; to tick over.