- Although; used to introduce a concession.
"He was a great friend, if a little stingy at the bar."
- (usually hyperbolic) Even if; even in the circumstances that.
- Supposing that; used with past subjunctive indicating that the condition is not fulfilled.
"I'd prefer it if you took your shoes off."
- Whether; used to introduce a noun clause as the object of certain verbs.
"I don't know if I want to go or not."
- Supposing that, assuming that, in the circumstances that; used to introduce a condition or choice.
"If it rains, I will get wet."
- (computing) In the event that a statement is true (a programming statement that acts in a similar manner).
"If A, then B, else C."
- (informal) An uncertainty, possibility, condition, doubt etc.