- An optical or other representation of a real object; a graphic; a picture.
"The Bible forbids the worship of graven images."
- A characteristic of a person, group or company etc., style, manner of dress, how one is, or wishes to be, perceived by others.
- (obsolete) Show; appearance; cast.
- (computing) A file that contains all information needed to produce a live working copy. (See disk image, executable image and image copy.)
"Most game console emulators do not come with any ROM images for copyright reasons."
- (mathematics) The subset of a codomain comprising those elements that are images of something.
"The image of this step function is the set of integers."
- A mental picture of something not real or not present.
- (mathematics) Something mapped to by a function.
"The number 6 is the image of 3 under f that is defined as f(x) = 2*x."
- (transitive, computing) To create a complete backup copy of a file system or other entity.
- (transitive) To create an image of.
- (transitive) To reflect, mirror.
- (transitive) To represent symbolically.