"It is imperative that you come here right now."
- Expressing a command; authoritatively or absolutely directive.
- (computing theory) Having a semantics that incorporates mutable variables.
- (grammar) of, or relating to the imperative mood
- (uncountable, grammar) The grammatical mood expressing an order (see jussive). In English, the imperative form of a verb is the same as that of the bare infinitive.
"The verbs in sentences like "Do it!" and "Say what you like!" are in the imperative."
- (countable) An essential action, a must: something which is imperative.
"Visiting Berlin is an imperative."
- (countable, grammar) A verb in imperative mood.