- A shake.
- (now rare) Discord, contention; quarrelling.
- A sense of alarm or dismay.
- A small, approximately cylindrical container, normally made of glass or clay, for holding fruit, preserves, etc., or for ornamental purposes.
- (of the form, style, appearance, etc. of people and things) To look strangely different; to stand out awkwardly from its surroundings; to be incongruent.
- (transitive) To shock or surprise.
"I think the accident jarred him, as he hasn't gotten back in a car since."
- To act in opposition or disagreement; to clash; to interfere; to quarrel; to dispute.
- (transitive) To knock or strike sharply.
"He hit it with a hammer, hoping he could jar it loose."
- To give forth a rudely quivering or tremulous sound; to sound harshly or discordantly.
"The notes jarred on my ears."