- An act of jolting.
- (slang) A narcotic injection.
- (slang) A long prison sentence.
- A surprise or shock.
- (transitive) To shock (someone) into taking action or being alert; as, to jolt someone out of complacency
- (transitive) To knock sharply; to deal a blow to.
- (intransitive) To shake; to move with a series of jerks.
"The bus jolted along the stony path."
- (transitive) To push or shake abruptly and roughly.
"The bus jolted its passengers."
- (transitive) To shock emotionally.
"Her untimely death jolted us all."