- A young servant or follower; a military attendant.
- (card games, dated) A playing card bearing the figure of a knight; the knave or jack.
- A warrior, especially of the Middle Ages.
"King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table"
- (chess) A chess piece, often in the shape of a horse's head, that is moved two squares in one direction and one at right angles to that direction in a single move, leaping over any intervening pieces.
- Nowadays, a person on whom a knighthood has been conferred by a monarch.
- (chess, transitive) To promote (a pawn) to a knight.
- (transitive) To confer knighthood upon.
"The king knighted the young squire."