- A weapon of war, consisting of a long shaft or handle and a steel blade or head; a spear carried by horsemen.
- (military) A soldier armed with a lance; a lancer.
- (pyrotechnics) One of the small paper cases filled with combustible composition, which mark the outlines of a figure.
- (fishing) A spear or harpoon used by whalers and fishermen.
- (founding) A small iron rod which suspends the core of the mold in casting a shell.
- A wooden spear, sometimes hollow, used in jousting or tilting, designed to shatter on impact with the opposing knight’s armour.
- (military) An instrument which conveys the charge of a piece of ordnance and forces it home.
- (medicine) A lancet.
- To throw in the manner of a lance; to lanch.
- To open with a lancet; to pierce; as, to lance a vein or an abscess.
- To pierce with a lance, or with any similar weapon.
"Seized the due victim, and with fury lanced Her back. Dryden."