- The tax, property or people so levied.
- The act of levying.
- (US, obsolete, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia) The Spanish real of one eighth of a dollar, valued at elevenpence when the dollar was rated at seven shillings and sixpence.
- To raise or collect by assessment; to exact by authority.
- To wage war.
- To impose (a tax or fine) to collect monies due, or to confiscate property.
"to levy a tax"
- To raise; to collect; said of troops, to form into an army by enrolment, conscription. etc.
- (law) To erect, build, or set up; to make or construct; to raise or cast up. to levy a mill, dike, ditch, a nuisance, etc.
- To draft someone into military service.
- To raise, as a siege.