- That part of an oar which is near the grip or handle and inboard from the rowlock
- A frame or machine of wood or other material, in which a weaver forms cloth out of thread; a machine for interweaving yarn or threads into a fabric, as in knitting or lace making.
- A utensil; tool; a weapon; (usually in compound) an article in general.
- (dated) loon (bird of order Gaviformes)
- To rise and to be eminent; to be elevated or ennobled, in a moral sense.
- to impend; to threaten or hang over.
"The clouds loomed over the mountains."