- an instance of losing, such as a defeat
"The match ended in their first loss of the season."
- (in the plural) casualties, especially physically eliminated victims of violent conflict
"The battle was won, but losses were great."
- (engineering) electricity of kinetic power expended without doing useful work
"The inefficiency of many old-fashioned power plants exceeds 60% loss before the subsequent losses during transport over the grid"
- the hurtful condition of having lost something or someone
"We mourn his loss."
- destruction, ruin
"It was a terrible crash: both cars were total losses"
- The result of an alteration in a function or characteristic of the body, or of its previous integrity.
"Loss of an arm"
- (financial) the sum an entity loses on balance
"The sum of expenditures and taxes minus total income is a loss, when this difference is positive."