- (transitive) To make (someone or something) appear greater or more important than it is; to intensify, exaggerate. [from 17th c.]
- (transitive) To make (something) larger or more important. [from 14th c.]
- (intransitive, slang, obsolete) To have effect; to be of importance or significance.
- (transitive) To praise, glorify (someone or something, especially god). [from 14th c.]
- (transitive) To make (something) appear larger by means of a lens, magnifying glass, telescope etc. [from 17th c.]