- Used to place emphasis upon something or someone; sometimes, but not always, when actually addressing a man.
"Man, that was a great catch!"
- A person, usually male, who can fulfill one's requirements with regard to a specified matter.
- A piece or token used in board games such as chess.
- A human, a person of either gender, usually an adult.
"every man for himself"
- (obsolete) A sentient being, whether human or supernatural.
- A husband.
- A person, usually male, who has duties or skills associated with a specified thing. (Used as the last element of a compound.)
"I always wanted to be a guitar man on a road tour, but instead I’m a flag man on a road crew."
- An adult male servant. (historical) A vassal. A subject.
"Like master, like man. (old proverb)all the king's men"
- A term of familiar address often implying on the part of the speaker some degree of authority, impatience, or haste.
"Come on, man, we've no time to lose!"
- (collective) All human males collectively: mankind.
- (anthropology, archaeology, paleontology) A member of the genus Homo, especially of the species Homo sapiens.
- (uncountable, obsolete, uncommon) Manliness; the quality or state of being manly.
- A male enthusiast or devotee; a male who is very fond of or devoted to a specified kind of thing. (Used as the last element of a compound.)
"Some people prefer apple pie, but me, I’m a cherry pie man."
- A male who belongs to a particular group: an employee, a student or alumnus, a representative, etc.
- (MLE, slang) Used to refer to oneself or one's group: I, we; construed in the third person.
- An adult male human.
"The show is especially popular with middle-aged men."
- (collective) All humans collectively: mankind, humankind, humanity. (Sometimes capitalized as Man.)
- An adult male who has, to an eminent degree, qualities considered masculine, such as strength, integrity, and devotion to family; a mensch.
- A lover; a boyfriend.
- (transitive) To supply (something) with staff or crew (of either sex).
"The shipped was manned with a small crew."
- (transitive, obsolete) To wait on, attend to or escort.
- (reflexive, possibly dated) To brace (oneself), to fortify or steel (oneself) in a manly way. (Compare man up.)
- (transitive) To take up position in order to operate (something).
"Man the machine guns!"
- (transitive, obsolete) To accustom (a hawk or other bird) to the presence of men.