- (phonetics) Having a quality imparted by means of the nose; and specifically, made by lowering the soft palate, in some cases with closure of the oral passage, the voice thus issuing (wholly or partially) through the nose, as in the consonants m, n, ng; characterized by resonance in the nasal passage; as, a nasal vowel; a nasal utterance.
- (anatomy) Of or pertaining to the nose.
- (now historical) Part of a helmet projecting to protect the nose; a nose guard.
- (phonetics) A nasal vowel or consonant.
- (zoology) A plate, or scale, on the nose of a fish, etc.
- (medicine, archaic) A medicine that operates through the nose; an errhine.
- (anatomy) One of the nasal bones.
- An elementary sound which is uttered through the nose, or through both the nose and the mouth simultaneously, such as m and n.