- (chemistry) Conditions with a liquid reagent or gas performed with no standard solvent or cosolvent.
"The Arbuzov reaction is performed by adding the bromide to the phosphite, neat. The molecular beam was neat acetylene."
- Well-executed or delivered; clever, skillful, precise.
"Having the two protagonists meet in the last act was a particularly neat touch."
- Free from contaminants; unadulterated, undiluted. Particularly of liquor and cocktails; see usage below.
"I like my whisky neat."
- Having a simple elegance or style; clean, trim, tidy, tasteful.
"The front room was neat and carefully arranged for the guests."
- Clean, tidy; free from dirt or impurities.
"My room is neat because I tidied it this morning. She has very neat hair."
- (archaic) With all deductions or allowances made; net.
- (colloquial) Good, excellent, desirable.
"Hey, neat convertible, man."
- (archaic) Cattle collectively.
- (archaic) A bull or cow.
- (informal) An artificial intelligence researcher who believes that solutions should be elegant, clear and provably correct. Compare scruffy.