- The condition of being needy or necessitous; pressing need; indigence; want.
- The negation of freedom in voluntary action; the subjection of all phenomena, whether material or spiritual, to inevitable causation; necessitarianism.
- The quality or state of being necessary, unavoidable, or absolutely requisite.
"I bought a new table out of necessity. My old one was ruined."
- That which makes an act or an event unavoidable; irresistible force; overruling power; compulsion, physical or moral; fate; fatality.
- (law, in the plural) Indispensable requirements (of life).
- That which is necessary; a requisite; something indispensable.
"A tent is a necessity if you plan on camping."
- (law) Greater utilitarian good; used in justification of a criminal act.
"doctrine of necessity"